At 89, Lady Escapes Fire in Springfield Area

Posted on 10 January 2011 by The Florida Star Online

Mrs. Ethel Clarke, 89, of the 200 block of West 17th Street, realized that her space heater had caused her house to catch fire. Ms. Clarke, saw the flame and rather than try to escape through her front door, went through the back door.

Even though there is very little space in her back area, in addition to the tall fences and dogs, she said she decided to risk climbing the fence behind her, which was the lowest, and tackle the dogs than try to run through the fire.

This was an excellent decision and of course shows her strength of mind.

The fire caused a lot of damage and Ms. Clarke was taken to Shands Hospital. She will not be able to return to her home because of the amount of damage.

Ms. Clarke needs financial support to help her get her home repaired and to purchase new items, such as bed and sitting furniture.

Those wishing to help should contact The Florida Star at 904-766-8834.

She has not set up a bank account.

...Subscribe to our Print Edition!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.



Archives

Categories








Featured Video

Greater Boston Video: Civil Rights Act at 50

Jacksonville Weather Forecast, FL